current location: Sydney, Australia

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Kellie Pickler Concert



Timmy and I rocked out with a bunch of 14 year-old groupies the other night at the Brown County Fair in Aberdeen South Dakota. They were there to see Kellie Pickler who’s pretty big on the country music circuit over here.

It was also the first night out for my new Durango cowboy boots. The boys were pretty supportive of the purchase. Pauly chipped in a dinner plate belt buckle to complete an ensemble which had me looking the most country of all the boys.

It was a great night. The town received a big dump of rain just before the concert so the arena turned to mud. I didn’t want to get mud all over the Durangos, so I followed the lead of some other revelers, ditching the boots and hitching up my jeans.

Tim and I spent the later half of the night trying to get through the cordon in front of the stage. We managed to get in during Kellie’s last song and arrived down the front just as the 14 year-olds started calling for an encore rendition of one of Kellie’s better know songs “Red High-heels”. We joined the chant and got a posi next to a young cowboy wearing a ‘Marry Me Kellie’ t-shirt. Kellie came back and it was high-fives all around.

If I arrived at the show a cowboy, I left a metrosexual. I managed to dig some pink thongs out of the mud, which I wore out of the pit, and my workingman’s feet were left soft and supple from all of the mud. As I’ve said before, I’m in the nation of paradoxes.

No comments: