current location: Sydney, Australia

Monday, August 4, 2008

From day one, my journey has been full of rich characters, usually people defined by their imperfections. Coming in contact with these people evokes intrigue and admiration. Regardless of what makes them imperfect - whether they drink or smoke or swear a lot, hold the odd prejudice, or bend the rules – what most have in common is that they are genuine.

Authenticity is something that I aspire toward. It is particularly hard to achieve if you are different within a subculture with a strong status quo, which is exactly my situation. And, saying this, many of the characters that I’m meeting fit in well because they are rebels, a celebrated persona in the country and I think especially so amongst harvesters.

As for how I’m going, I think pretty well. As I’ve said before, I think there exists a mutual respect between the country and city boy. However, I am on their turf. I do get frustrated every now and then when things of interest to me do not register at all with the other guys. They do come to me for camera advice though.

No comments: